Thanks to our friends over at Melanated Gold Review Squad we are getting to check out BookShark‘s Science Level D. When we started homeschooling last summer, science was a subject that concerned me a bit. I know some of you are most excited about science but not this mama. I just knew I would be spending a million dollars on science kits and praying every night that I made the right decision. I calmed down a bit when I remembered that I spent second grade sitting in the back of JustaBXgirl’s classes. She had science once a week and from what I heard, didn’t learn much that she hadn’t already learned.
Science has been one of justaBXgirl’s favorite subjects this year because we’ve used some pretty cool curriculum, did a bunch of at-home science kits, watched a heap of Youtube videos, and taken a number of trips to the Bronx Zoo. Still, I can’t lie. I wasn’t completely happy with how I was leading it. We were kind of jumping around with no real plan other than the loose outline I included in our IHIP (Individualized Homeschool Instructional Plan). Thanks to BookShark I no longer feel that way.
We received BookShark Science Level D to review and truthfully, when I opened the box, I was a bit intimidated. There is so much included in the box that it kind of scared me. Then I sat down with the box and EVERYTHING that was included. I set up my binder (with JustaBXgirl’s help) and felt ready to dive in. And whoa! All I could think was this is exactly what was missing in my homeschool. It was clear. It was simple. It was fun. JustaBXgirl was excited about science and asked if we could do another lesson as soon as we finished the first. This is a literature-based program so you know it is a win in our home. We love the opportunity to add new books to our library and this set has some really good ones.
This curriculum is laid out in such a simple way. It is designed to be used four days a week but honestly, you can do it as quickly or slowly as you would like. JustaBXgirl likes to do all of the reading and the worksheets on one day and the experiment on day two. And have I mentioned that almost everything that you need for the experiments is included? Yup and the things that aren’t included are simple items that you probably already have at home. The lessons share what supplies you need for the week and give you advance notice on what you will need to supply for the following week. I love that. We’ve all been in the position of being ready to do something fun with the littles and not having the supplies you need. BookShark makes sure that you are prepared and not caught out there.
Another really fun thing about the curriculum is the optional Do Together section. This optional section gives families a fun activity to do after finishing the reading. It is also a good way to lock in the information that has been studied.
5 Questions Answered About BookShark
- How do children learn using this curriculum? This curriculum allows children to learn using different methods. They spend time reading, they have worksheets to complete, and finally, they get to perform experiments. Using multiple methods allows the littles the opportunity to really get the material. And if for some reason they don’t get it they can revisit the material or try again.
- How can I track what my child is doing? Your child completes the worksheets based on the reading. Don’t worry adults, there are answer sheets included in the instructor’s guide in case you need them. You also can use the Virtual Seat option to help you stay organized
- What input do I have on what my child is learning? It is your world. I love that BookShark reminds us of this. It is designed as a four-day-a-week program but they remind you to do what works best for your family. It is one of the things that let me know I was going to love this program. JustaBXgirl and I need to make things our own. This program allows you to do that. Doing science daily? Only once a week? Some other schedule? You can accelerate or slow down the program to make it exactly what your scholars need.
- What grades does this curriculum cover? BookShark Science Level D is designed for children ages 8-11. That means that it can be used for families with multiples. In our case, it’s a great ability to be able to revisit the material even once we’ve completed it. BookShark is designed for ages 4-16.
- What does this curriculum cost? The BookShark Science Level D package is currently on sale for $255.42. You can add the Virtual seat for an additional $50. There is so much included in this curriculum that you will feel like you are stealing something at this price. The package consists of the Science D Instructor’s Guide, the BookShark Science D Experiments Book, the Discover and Do: Science D Supplies Kit, and every book included in the curriculum to add to your personal library.
When you pair BookShark print curriculum with a Virtual seat, parents and students get cool online features like assessment, grading, and accountability. It is also accessible via mobile or desktop! The best way to understand BookShark Virtual is to try it yourself. The first three weeks of every Virtual course are available for free just like the Instructor’s Guide samples always have been. Head over and check out the free first three weeks of Instructor’s Guides then come back and tell me which was your favorite.
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
BookShark Science Levels A-F is designed with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). The curriculum was updated in 2021 because science changes and if we’re learning science we don’t want it to be history! They chose Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) because NGSS standards are both widely accepted and academically solid. Want to learn more, check out BookShark’s site to learn more.
Don’t forget to head over and check out what my friends at Melanated Gold Review Squad think about this curriculum.