I just celebrated my 37th birthday. I am 37. Thirty-seven sounds like an adult. When did that happen? I mean really? I’m still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up and when I stop and look at the year I should probably start considering myself to be a grownup.
Yea, probably not though. Don’t worry I promise I’m very much the adult and those that have known me since childhood would probably say I have always been an adult. Responsibility is never the issue but being a grown up just sounds so…I don’t know maybe final? If you’re a grown up can you still be a Toys R Us kid? Can you still get excited over Finding Dory coming out? Can you still secretly want to collect all Shopkins from season 5?
Birthdays always make me emotional and reflective. This year has given me a lot to reflect on. It has allowed me to become more me and has given me the push to want to set more goals.
Here are 3 things that I am very grateful for in the past year.
- My experience as a single mom. Being a single mom was the drive behind starting justabxmom. It’s actually the drive that inspired superparentsunite which is the Instagram account that inspired the blog. Being a single parent is HARD. I am IT. Responsibility for JustaBXgirl begins and ends with me. Yet I love it. Me and her are a team. We go on adventures. We share secrets. We work. And that is what I want other parents to know. Just because life might be difficult doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it. I am grateful for every moment I get to be JustaBXgirl’s mommy. Not because I want to always be a single mom but because after being one I know I can handle anything.
- My parents. I never went through an I hate my parents stage of life. I mean I won’t say that I always liked them completely but even when I was angry with them I never thought “I hate you.” Since having JustaBXgirl my parents have been my biggest supporters. Almost two years ago my stepmother died. She was another of my biggest supporters and the loss of her is still felt daily. Last year shortly after the anniversary of my stepmom’s death my mother had a major stroke. The doctors were in shock over how she bounced back after something that in the words of one of her doctors should have left her unable to walk or talk. She is not the same person she was before the stroke. Sadly, I don’t think she ever will be. She is still here though. And every day she speaks a bit more clearly and remembers a little bit more of her past. My dad is my rock. He keeps telling JustaBXgirl and her cousins that he’s getting old and won’t be around much longer. Losing him or my mom is one of my biggest fears.
- Starting justaBXmom. I feel so blessed when I think of this blog. I didn’t know what to expect as the new kid on the block. I just knew I had a message to share. I wanted to share my experience as a single mom without being a single mom blog. I wanted to have a place to share events and products we love and vent about those we don’t. Since starting the site I’ve had the opportunity to do all of that and more. I have been able meet some really AWESOME people. There is nothing like your internet friends becoming your real life friends.
And here are 7 of the quotes that govern much of my life. These are things you can catch me writing or saying randomly throughout the day. Some you might be familiar with and some might be new. Let me know what one of your life mantras is in the comments. And let me know which of mine is your favorite.
- Slow and steady wins the race.
- Who are you? What are you?
- You shouldn’t live life expecting someone to ring your doorbell and give you a trophy. Base your decisions on who YOU want to be.
- Take a look. It’s in a book.
- Good. Better. Best. Never let it rest until the good gets better and the better gets best.
- Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent.
- Don’t TRY. DO. The moment you try you’ve already failed.
I considered doing some type of 37 list but then realized my attention span isn’t that long. Figured this was still a good way to celebrate my new year.